Thursday, June 04, 2009

Abiding, Pruning, Sin.....

These last few months of studying in John has been so good. It has taken me some time to really get through it but now that I'm finished I really feel I've grown in my understanding of what the Lord has been doing in my life these 4 + years.

Pruning....

It's something we know is necessary for trees to bear fruit. Interesting that the Lord uses Pruning as an illustration for us, as we try to grow in our own understanding of Bearing Fruit in Christ and striving for maturity in Him.

Several things discussed in this little book have really made sense. It is cool to actually be able to read something and say, " Oh that's what I've been going through" . Or like Dwayne, said, " This is what I'm going through now." Mind you, we all are in out of the pruning process. It's really never ending for us as believers.

This week the Lord has brought some real closure to some things and allowed me to see that pruning was necessary to allow me to grow in ways I would not without being pruned. I've also realized for the first time what it means to produce fruit more abundantly. I've been producing but to yield more than what I have done in the past - Pruning is necessary. It's not always easy to go through that process. I've also realized that sin has played a part in some of the less fruitful times of my life. What I mistook for the Desert experience was partly true but I was in the desert because of sin... not because of other reason. We often hear people say it feels like I'm living in a drought. God just doesn't seem near..I've been there... what I realized was that Sin was yet again the cause of my feeling so alone. I had to recognize what it was I was doing or the thing that I was holding on too so tightly that I wouldn't allow the Lord to complete His work in my life.

Interesting enough in SECRETS OF THE VINE, by Bruce Wilkinson, he shares that sometimes we confuse pruning for discipline. When discipline occurs it usually has consequences attached to it. We can confess our wrong and forgiveness is given but sometimes we have to allow for the consequences to pass before we can see the end to the situation. There is no fruit being produced when sin is present. The only way to end the discipline is to stop sinning and ask for forgiveness. Unfortunately, most people don't even recognize their own sin but cast blame on others rather than accepting their own responsibility.

When Pruning is taking place there is always pain involved. Usually your doing something right because your growing and maturing. Your producing fruit in the Spirit but the Lord sees your Potential ( which I think is so beautiful) and so He prunes your life, so that you can become more fruitful. There isn't a sin involved. Usually it's a you issue. Maybe your holding on to something or trying to do something on your own. ( This could become sin but maybe it's not to that point.) Our response ought to be to trust in the Lord and seek His kingdom. Seeking after His will . Allow God to have His way in your life and walk in Obedience to what it is He's asking of you.

It's been a special study for me. I see the Lord using this to heighten my awareness of Him at work in my life. Now when something happens or I sense something changing - I immediately think. Lord, is there a sin in my life or is this your hands gently pruning my life.


" In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing , you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory. 1 Peter 1: 6:8

I pray you abide in Christ in ways you've never experienced before and that you experience His gentle pruning that causes you to grow deeper in love with Him which will then produce
lasting, ever lasting fruit that will not perish but will then grow and multiply.

Here's to living and abiding in Him.



1 comment:

Gratitude Gal said...

What a great post! I, too, have been going through some serious pruning. I recently wrote about a small sign I saw in a store which read, "Trusting in God includes Trusting in His Timing". That was a powerful message for me. God Bless you for writing something so fabulous and needed!
Cheryl