Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Day After ~

No, it's not a movie or even a book. It's just the day after Christmas. I love reflection and having the ability to look back and think about how things have gone either for the day or for an event. Christmas is so different in the states then when we lived overseas. It's not that it is different in a bad way it's just different. For instance, overseas it's just another day for most people in China don't really celebrate Christmas. More and more people are but still the vast majority do not. There aren't any holidays off from school or work and there is no special music playing. No rush to buy that special gift or that feeling of being bombarded with JUNK. No fattening foods or stress in thinking did I get everything I needed to get.

Instead, it was relaxed and the focus was on giving parties in hopes of sharing the True meaning of Christmas. It was calm and full of joy. It was refreshing to not see a Santa Claus on every store front ringing a bell or turning on the t.v. and seeing advertisements for that special gift.

This year as I reflect back on Christmas Day and the days leading up to it, I have a smile on my face. It wasn't just like being overseas but it was nice. It was calm and full of joy. It makes all the difference when we keep our focus on the true meaning rather than all the hoopla of shopping and stress of buying....

I received the greatest gift I've ever received in Christ Jesus and while it is nice to remember what God did for us all during this holiday season - one thing we must remember is that His gift keeps on giving. I hope you were able to share it with someone during this holiday season!


If not, make plans now for next year. Think about what you could differently and plan it out. Make it happen and be bold to share with others what a special gift you have in Christ Jesus!





1 comment:

Gratitude Gal said...

I love the quiet moments that I have learned to take during the Christmas season. They are so precious and meaningful. The day after Christmas always bothers me, however. The world continues on as if Christmas never happened. Stores open, people return to work, and sometimes it feels as if the spirit of the season is forgotten. When we were children, that long break was something I saw as the real Christmas. Time to visit, look at each gift, eat the holiday cookies and appreciate the season.